A replace of Alesis Fusion Screen

General questions about the fusion belong here.

Moderators: GuyDenruyter, jeebustrain

A replace of Alesis Fusion Screen

Postby The electricfingers » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi to all!

Anyone know how replace the Alesis Fusion Screen?.....I m worried about the screen,i think that is the weaker feature of Fusion..and i not want that my favourite synth be out of work after the warranty period.Anyone knows how replace the Screen(compatible components) or how put a external signal like in this video:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=6mZ5qGtiq3M

..or any idea that can extend the live of fusion if the screen break down.

Thanks to all
The electricfingers
Advanced
Advanced

Re: A replace of Alesis Fusion Screen

Postby Mastropiero » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:46 pm

The electricfingers wrote:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=6mZ5qGtiq3M

..or any idea that can extend the live of fusion if the screen break down.
Thanks to all

Keep in mind that the Fusion shown in this video is perhaps a prototype since that demonstration was made before the official release date of the Fusion.
Fusion 8HD | D-550 | Prophet 600 | JX-8P | Alesis S4 | VZ-1 | CZ-1 | FZ-1 | VL-1 | AirSynth | MS2000B | K3m | K5 | K5000s | Poly 800-II | FS1R | ControlPad | DW8000 | E6400 Ultra
http://www.youtube.com/user/Colpocorto
Mastropiero
Advanced
Advanced

Postby bazz » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:26 am

and if it's that namm video, it was recorded with a cam on top of the screen as far as i remember
Fusion 8HD, Yamaha RM1X, GEM WX2+ 2MB smpl ram &256k sram, EMU ESI2000 turbo, m-audio oxygen8 + delta 44, Edirol UM-1SX, AMD64 3200+ 1GB 900GB, Behringer MS40 & X V-AMP, Yamaha QY22, Boss DR 550mkII, Epiphone Les Paul
bazz
Advanced
Advanced

Postby crgl » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:16 am

As you say, the display of the Fusion is one of the weakest features and one that could leave it useless.

I will repair mine soon.

If it is of some comfort, the actual display is not what usually gets broken, it is the backlight. I payed for the circuits that feed the baclight because they burn out. I hope the new ones will last more time. I payed $42 to Alesis including shipping.
crgl
Advanced
Advanced

Postby The electricfingers » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:08 pm

crgl wrote:As you say, the display of the Fusion is one of the weakest features and one that could leave it useless.

I will repair mine soon.

If it is of some comfort, the actual display is not what usually gets broken, it is the backlight. I payed for the circuits that feed the baclight because they burn out. I hope the new ones will last more time. I payed $42 to Alesis including shipping.

How much time have been your screen ok?
The electricfingers
Advanced
Advanced

Postby crgl » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:57 pm

The electricfingers wrote:
crgl wrote:As you say, the display of the Fusion is one of the weakest features and one that could leave it useless.

I will repair mine soon.

How much time have been your screen ok?

Mine was fine for more than a year. Then one day the backlight didn't turn on. The problem I have right now is that I cut the cable from one extreme of the little backlight assuming that the backlight was burned but it was the circuits that were burned. I cut the backlight cable too close to the light and right now I have a problem trying to solder it with the cable again since I left too little cable in the backlight.
crgl
Advanced
Advanced

Screen Replacement

Postby Hammerman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:05 pm

Hi Electricfingers, you can buy a replacement LCD screen here :
http://www.instrumentalparts.com/9-44-0008.html,

although I presume that Alesis will ship one to you. As Crgl says, it may just be the backlight that needs replacing...
I need to replace the outer screen, as it was viciously scraped by my 9 year old daughter ( Dusting the keyboard !) (':cry:'). I managed to get a replacement screen from a nice service rep at Numark (UK), I just need to summon up the courage to take the keyboard apart...

Looks like we will have to be big and brave and be willing to do some light electronic repairs to keep the keyboard healthy....
Hammerman

Postby crgl » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:27 pm

thanks for the link ! :D
crgl
Advanced
Advanced

Postby javucci » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:46 am

Most problems in the Fusion 6HD are due to the heat produced by the power supply and the hard drive, which is not properly dissipated, affecting other circuitry.
Last edited by javucci on Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
javucci
General
General

Re: Screen Replacement

Postby The electricfingers » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:15 pm

Hammerman wrote:Hi Electricfingers, you can buy a replacement LCD screen here :
http://www.instrumentalparts.com/9-44-0008.html,

although I presume that Alesis will ship one to you. As Crgl says, it may just be the backlight that needs replacing...
I need to replace the outer screen, as it was viciously scraped by my 9 year old daughter ( Dusting the keyboard !) (':cry:'). I managed to get a replacement screen from a nice service rep at Numark (UK), I just need to summon up the courage to take the keyboard apart...

Looks like we will have to be big and brave and be willing to do some light electronic repairs to keep the keyboard healthy....

hey!!!!

Lot of people will be grateful to you for the link,i only can say THANKS!
The electricfingers
Advanced
Advanced

Postby Hammerman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:30 pm

My Pleasure !

I am anticipating having to do some work on the insides of the keyboard when it is out of warranty... so i've been mooching around for parts that will breakdown... eg the hard drive. Not being a computer person, I don't know whether it will be difficult to get hold of a 'new' PATA style hard drive, so I thought about getting some spares now, and putting them in the cupboard just in case....
:D
Hammerman

Postby Acidpork » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:16 am

Hammerman wrote: I don't know whether it will be difficult to get hold of a 'new' PATA style hard drive, so I thought about getting some spares now, and putting them in the cupboard just in case....
:D
Yeah, me too. I'm getting one spare HD and one of each key type, replacement screen parts, and the Fusion repair manual from Alesis so I can buy new capacitors and such.

The day I have to crack open my lil' 6HD will be a scary one indeed, as I adore the board.
Acidpork

Postby Hammerman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi Acidpork,
Let me know if you would like a copy of the repair manual... It is a big beastie, over 15 MB, but I am sure we can sort something out... :D
Hammerman

Postby The electricfingers » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:41 pm

hey Hammer! can you do public the manual for this forum?

Thx in advance!
The electricfingers
Advanced
Advanced

Service Manual

Postby Hammerman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Absolutely.... but not quite sure how to do it..Is there an area on the forum that I can upload it to ? Or do I need to set up a download site ?
apologies for my ignorance on this ! :(

UPDATE: since posting this, I've had a look and there a couple of possibilities, so I'll explore and get the manual on the site ASAP..
Hammerman

Next

Return to General